CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

What's in a name?

Someone once asked me: "Did you pick the names out for specific reasons?"

So I thought I'd explain my children's names

Kendall Melissa
I went on a river rafting trip down the Green River in Utah where one of our guides was named Kyndel. I loved the name, and it was quite different. When it came time to name my daughter, I thought of her, and how strong she was, and it was something I wanted in my daughter. Her father and I went through a few versions of this name, and finally came up with Kendall and it just happened to be the name of the town me and her father grew up in.

Melissa is a simpler story.....it's from the Allman Brothers song..."Sweet Melissa". Her dad and I were big fans of the Allman Brothers and have seen them in concert a few times. Just good memories.

JC
Kerry and I named him John, after the two grand fathers...yes...both of our fathers are named John. It also honors my German heritage and is a strong name for a boy. Hard to make fun of a normal name like John

Corbin followed my father's initials of JCH. We also liked the flow of the name...John Corbin. We figured he could use it as a stage name if he became famous :) We had originally had his name as Corbin John, but changed it right before we told everyone the name. We call him JC now, just to not confuse him with the grandparents.

Lola Pink
We decided to give a girlie name to our littlest baby. Little did we know how much of an impact this name would have on people. When people hear her name, they often start singing a song. I've heard people sing...."Whatever Lola wants......Lola gets" from the Damn Yankees. Or, "Her name was Lola, she was a show girl." And then there's The Kinks...."lalalallal Lola" Her name brings a smile to others faces, and music to their mouths....I love it.

Her middle name of Pink, was something that Kerry and I both thought was completely precious for Lola. We love the reaction to the name, and have found that it fits our little girl perfectly.

We love our children, and are proud of their names. I'm sure every parent has some sort of story about how and why they named their child what they did. Ask them, I'm sure you'll find a good story!

No comments: